Today I’ve teamed up with Grana Padano to bring you these delicious cheesy baked tortilla chips, which pair perfectly with my easy child-friendly guacamole. Both recipes are quick and easy to make and perfect for every occasion, from parties to picnics, lunch boxes to after school snacks. You’ll also find a competition at the end of this post – don’t forget to enter for your chance to win some gorgeous Grana Padano and other goodies!
Grana Padano is a hard, Italian cheese made in Northern Italy, which is almost a thousand years old! It takes its name from the grainy texture of the cheese and its origin – Padano means ‘from the Po Valley’. It is a Protected Designation of Origin product (PDO) which means that it is authentically produced using historic techniques and exclusively linked to the area where it is made. Grana Padano is an excellent source of calcium and energy – just 50 grams contains all the goodness of a pint and a half of milk.
These easy cheesy tortilla chips are really fun to make with kids. The recipe is simple and you can customise them by using cookie cutters to cut them into any shape you like. Kids can help with every step of the process, from cutting the shapes to brushing them with oil, and of course grating and sprinkling the delicious Grana Padano cheese!
To keep things quick and easy, I use shop-bought tortilla wraps in this recipe, but you can also follow my homemade tortilla wraps recipe if you’re feeling adventurous and want to make your own!
For this recipe I used Grana Padano Riserva, which is matured over 20 months and is full of flavour. When I was developing the recipe I tried a few different combinations of flavours, adding seasonings such as garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. In the end though I found that simple is best – the Grana Padano has such a lovely flavour of its own that it needs no accompaniment in this recipe. As I mentioned above, I also created a mild child-friendly guacamole to accompany the tortilla chips, the recipe for which you can find here: Easy Child-Friendly Guacamole Recipe.
Grana Padano Cheese Baked Tortilla Chips
- 4 tortilla wraps
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil (or oil spray)
- 125g Grana Padano cheese
Start by preheating your oven to 180°C (Gas mark 4/350°F). Brush or spray 2 large baking trays with oil.
Stack the tortilla wraps in a pile on a chopping board.
Using large knife, cut them into triangles. Tip: I find the easiest way to do this is to cut the wraps into 4 strips, then zig-zag across the strips to cut them into triangles.
As you may have read elsewhere on the blog, I’m a great believer in teaching kids to use knives properly (under close supervision) but if your kids aren’t ready to use a knife yet they can also use cookie cutters to cut out their tortilla chips. This is also a great way to make them more fun by cutting them into different shapes!
Place the tortilla triangles or shapes on the oiled baking trays, spreading them out in a single layer.
Brush or spray with the oil, then flip them all over and oil the other side too.
Finely grate the Grana Padano cheese.
Generously sprinkle the grated Grana Padano over the oiled tortilla pieces.
Bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes until crispy and starting to brown round the edges. Make sure you keep a sharp eye on your tortilla chips as they cook as they can burn very easily.
Once baked and crispy, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
Serve with our easy homemade child-friendly guacamole for dipping.
Note: If not serving immediately, leave the tortilla chips to cool completely before storing in an airtight container until ready to use. As long as they are cooled properly before storing, the tortilla chips should stay crispy for 2-3 days.
Win some Grana Padano Cheese and Goodies!
If you’d like the chance to win some delicious Grana Padano to try yourself, all you have to do is comment on this post with your answer to this simple question; Where is Grana Padano made? then enter via the rafflecopter below. Please make sure you both comment and enter via the rafflecopter otherwise your entry won’t count!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Please note the following giveaway terms and conditions:
- This giveaway opens on the 21st August 2018. Entries closes at midnight (BST) on Sunday 2nd September 2018.
- This giveaway is open to UK residents only. Entrants must be aged over 18.
- The winner will be notified via email within 48 hours of the closing date. If no response is received from the winner within 28 days, then an alternative winner will be selected.
- The prize will be supplied by Grana Padano and includes 400g Grana Padano cheese and branded merchandise (lunch boxes, baseball caps, a children’s activity brochure about Grana Padano and crayons).
- Email addresses provided at entry will only be used to contact the winner and not for any other purpose.
- If extra entries are earned by following Eats Amazing or Grana Padano on social media, the winner must still be following Eats Amazing or Grana Padano when the giveaway ends in order to claim their prize.
Disclosure: This recipe, blog post and giveaway was commissioned by Grana Padano. I received some Grana Padano cheese and was compensated for my time and the cost of ingredients, however all opinions expressed in this post are my own.
Grana Padano Cheese Baked Tortilla Chips
- 4 to rtilla wraps
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil or oil spray
- 125 g Grana Padano cheese
- Start by preheating your oven to 180°C (Gas mark 4/350°F). Brush or spray 2 large baking trays with oil.
- Stack the tortilla wraps in a pile on a chopping board, then using large knife, cut them into triangles.
- Place the tortilla triangles on the oiled baking trays, spreading them out in a single layer.
- Brush or spray with the oil, then flip them all over and oil the other side too.
- Finely grate the Grana Padano cheese. Generously sprinkle the grated Grana Padano over the oiled tortilla pieces.
- Bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes until crispy and starting to brown round the edges. Make sure you keep a sharp eye on your tortilla chips as they cook as they can burn very easily.
- Once baked and crispy, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Serve with our easy homemade child-friendly guacamole.
Love this easy recipe? Why not save it to Pinterest so you can easily find it again!