Several of the Bento Bloggers and Friends put together 'Top 13 of 2013' bento round up posts recently, and I thought it would be fun to join in with my own. Many of the posts were linked up in one great collection on the BBF website, so when you've finished reading this post, click on the button at the bottom to see the very best of the awesome bento lunches that they all created last year. Being rather behind with my blogging, I didn't get this post up in time to join the linky, but I know that the posts by my blogging friends who were more organised than me are well worth a look!
2013 was my first full year of bento making, as I first started in September 2012. As I looked over my year in bento, I couldn't help feeling a little proud of my efforts. I was also struck by how much my photography has improved over the year. I have a long way to go, but I'm pleased with my progress in that area this last year. I enjoyed the creative process of making the bento lunches enormously, and I hope that Small Child enjoyed eating them as much as I enjoyed making them! I had trouble picking out my top 13, but I got there in the end, so here are my favourite 13 bento's of 2013!
13. Scared Bagel Lunch - This lunch was simple but effective, and it still makes me laugh whenever I see a photo! To see all the details of what went into this lunch click here.
12. Angry Birds Lunch - This lunch was a special surprise for Small Child, who is a big fan of Angry Birds. I hope it balanced out his street cred a little against the flowery lunches I sometimes send! You can read all the details of this lunch here.
11. Frog Themed Muffin Tin Meal - I'm not sure if it counts as bento, but I was really pleased with how this muffin tin meal turned out. I made a dessert plate to match too, which you can check out in this blog post.
10. Thomas the Tank Engine Lunch - This lunch was part of a series of book themed lunches that I created to celebrate World Book Day. I found creating a Thomas lunch a challenge, but a luckily I had a last minute idea that saved the day! Click here to read more.
8. Snowflake Lunch - The most recent on my list, I was really pleased with how the snowflake shaped tortilla crisps turned out in this one. For a closer look and all the details, visit the blog post here.
7. Very Hungry Caterpillar - Another of my book themed lunches, I was particularly pleased with the dessert plate that I made to go with it (Small Child wasn't at school that day). You can see more details and the Very Hungry Caterpillar themed dessert on the blog post.
6. Pitta Monster Lunch - This lunch was the first of the Halloween themed lunches this year, and I showed in the blog post how I transformed a very plain and simple lunch into something a lot more fun. You can read all about it here.
5. Dinosaur Lunch - This lunch was made in honour of 'Dinovember', a creative idea that took over our household half way through November last year. You can read all about our Dinovember antics here, and find the details of this lunch here.
4. Monsters, Inc. Lunch - I suspect that this lunch was probably Small Child's favourite of the year, it was much anticipated as it was made by special request after he watched the film for the first time. I was very relieved that it turned out well, as I wouldn't want to disappoint him! You can read all about this lunch here.
3. Guy Fawkes Lunch - This lunch contained my first attempt at 'quesadilla art', in which I painted a portrait of Guy Fawkes onto Small Child's quesadilla using a fine brush and food colouring, to commemorate the gunpowder plot on the 5th November. I was very pleased with how it turned out! Click here to see all the details and a close up of my edible Guy Fawkes.
2. Pirate Kitty Lunch - This lunch was created to celebrate 'International Talk Like a Pirate Day, which occurs on the 19th September every year. To see all the details of this lunch click here.
That's it for my round up, I really had trouble picking just 13, so I hope that I have as many creative lunches to choose from this time next year! Which was your favourite?
If you're in the mood for looking at creative lunches, you can see plenty more from some of my lovely bento blogging friends by clicking on the button below.