Do you want to get your kids in the kitchen but don’t know where to start? Or maybe you’re looking for some easy projects to keep the kids busy over the summer holidays? I’ve rounded up my 10 favourite recipes for cooking with kids to share with you today, all of them quick, easy and sure to be a hit with the kids!
To get your kids really involved with the cooking of these recipes, each and every one comes with a free printable recipe sheet designed especially for children, with easy to follow instructions, simple language and a straightforward layout so they can follow the recipe from start to finish with minimal help from you. I’ve chosen a selection of summer recipes to cover every meal of the day, with plenty of savoury and healthy recipes, not just cakes!
You’ll find the recipe sheets at the end of each individual recipe post – click on the photos below to be taken to each recipe. They’re all free to download, so why not print them all off and make your own little recipe book for the summer!
1. Homemade Granola – Start they day off right with a healthy breakfast! This homemade granola makes a great alternative to sugary cereals for kids, it’s really easy to make and stores beautifully so you can make up a batch with the kids at the weekend and have a yummy homemade breakfast all week. Click on the photo below for the recipe and printable recipe sheet.
2. Frozen Fruity Yogurt Bites – These fruity yogurt bites are super popular here on the blog and are perfect for hot summer days! With just 3 ingredients and no cooking involved, even the smallest toddler can get stuck into this recipe.
3. Mini Quiches – Brilliant for picnics or lazy summer lunches, your kids are sure to love making and eating these cute little kid-sized quiches!
4. English Muffin Pizzas – This instant pizza recipe always goes down well with my boys, especially if they can make it themselves. This recipe is super quick and easy so no waiting around for hours when they’re starving and ready for lunch.
5. Easy Prawn Cocktail – This is a great recipe for kids to make themselves, it’s super easy and they’ll love the confidence boost from making something a little more ‘grown up’! Perfect served on lettuce leaves or as a jacket potato topper too, a great family dinner for warm summer days.
6. Easy Homemade Burgers – Another great family meal recipe that’s perfect for kids to make themselves, this is one of the first recipes my son followed all by himself aged just 4, and 4 years later it’s still one of his firm favourites!
7. Homemade Potato Wedges – These wedges are really easy to make and a great recipe for kids to practice their cutting skills (supervised of course!). They go perfectly with the burger recipe above too.
8. Roasted Chickpeas – These easy to cook roasted chickpeas make a tasty savoury snack, a great healthy alternative to crisps. I’ve found that my kids enjoy these a lot more if they make them themselves too. Try experimenting with the flavourings and letting your kids explore the different herbs and spices you have in the cupboard at the same time.
9. Rainbow Fruit Kebabs – Another really simple recipe that’s perfect for all ages. This one is great for toddlers to work on their find motor skills by threading the fruit on the skewers, or for young readers to practice their new-found reading skills whilst making a yummy healthy snack at the same time!
10. Extra Fruity Jam Tarts – No recipe collection is complete without a sweet treat, and these extra fruity jam tarts are easy for kids to make and a perfect dessert for summer.
I hope you’ve found some inspiration here, if you try any of these recipes please let me know in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you! If you’d like even more recipe inspiration, check out the rest of the easy recipes for kids here on the Eats Amazing blog and watch this space; I hope to add even more recipes this summer.