We love bagels, they make a nice change from sliced bread for sandwiches and are perfect for lunch boxes, if only because it’s so easy to make them fun by adding eyes! They’re great for lunches at home too, and after receiving a large box of them to review recently, we had fun trying out lots of different topping ideas for them, 8 of which I’m sharing below.
We tried both savoury and sweet toppings, so these recipes are perfect for breakfast as well as lunch. A lovely toasted bagel makes a great alternative to cereal and is just as quick and easy to throw together on a busy morning.
Savoury Bagel Topping Ideas
- My current favourite – rainbow veggie bagels! Check out how to make them here.
- Cream cheese and cucumber – spread a thick layer of cream cheese over a bagel half and top with slices of cucumber for a lovely summery lunch.
- Pizza Bagel – we made ours plain with just cheese and tomato but you can add any toppings you like. Check out my easy recipe here.
- Carrot & Houmous – Grate half a carrot and mix together with a small handful of raisins. Spread a thick layer of houmous over a toasted bagel half and top with the carrot and raisin mixture.
Sweet Bagel Topping Ideas
- Peanut butter and banana – this one is a favourite for breakfast in our house! Spread a thick layer of crunchy peanut butter over a toasted bagel half. Top with slices of banana and serve immediately.
- Cream cheese & strawberries – hull two strawberries by cutting a V in the top to remove the stalk and leaves. Slice the strawberries into heart shaped slices. Spread a bagel half with cream cheese and top with the strawberry hearts.
- Banana and cinnamon – Mash half a banana over a toasted cinammon and raisin bagel half. Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste and serve immediately.
- Cashew butter and apple – spread a thick layer of cashew butter over half a bagel. Top with thinly cut slices of apple and serve immediately.
I hope you enjoy these yummy bagel topping ideas, what’s your favourite?